Sunday 6 June 2010

Found objects

Final outcome: Book/Journal

We were required to use a 'found object' from the onset of our project brief. I became drawn to a hot place I had found, and some place mats (with the Poiret on the back). What drew me to these objects initially was the use of pattern. When I started to develop drawings from them, something occurred to me that they both had in common: they both endured heat. I then went on to use a soldering iron to create fabrics. Although I essentially had two separate projects at one time, what influenced me to merge the two was the use of costume and branding identities in the commercial market. Through watching Agatha Christie's 'Poirot' episode of 'The dance at the victory ball', there was a story of a Piorot being murdered and the only evidence being a pompom. This then inspired me to redo the ending of the film and have the murderer flee to another country. I chose India (why not?), and created a new functional disguise costume, and a bag for carrying his/her belongings in with the patterns from the objects embellished to enhance the aesthetic of the soldered bag that carried the evidence and the fugitives journal. In the media, young children often play out characters, good and bad. Therefore, i decided to look at my project as a marketing devise to appeal to kids and sell the disguise.










No comments:

Post a Comment